Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Memories

Memories are slippery things for me. With everything I have to do as a woman with a family, and as a woman in a graduate program, sometimes my days will run together for what seems like months at a time. Memory-making is something I've become much more conscious of, especially over the past year, but sometimes it's hard to find time to make memories with my busy schedule. Can you relate?

My time in Jordan this summer taught me a lot about memory-making. I was with a great group of people who loved the food, loved the culture, and loved having this great experience together and they made it so easy for me to take advantage of my time there with once-in-a-lifetime experiences.

One of the best days, not just in Jordan, but of my life (yes, my LIFE) was a day I spent in Ajloun, a small town outside of Amman, with some very special people who work on and run an organic herb farm cooperative. It would take pages to write about everything we did that day. I'll make it as short and to the point as I can:

Horns honking. Greetings. Arab hospitality. Back-road racing. Fresh mint tea. Falafel and french fries for lunch. Fresh air. The sight of freshly-turned, rocky soil. The smell of newly-harvested herbs. Conversation. Laughter. Sight-seeing. Planting trees on a Jordan hillside. Hauling water. More Arab hospitality. BBQ Jordanian style. Kebabs. Roasted tomatoes. Cucumbers. More tea. Gandhi impersonations. Laughter. Chilly night air. Sky full of stars. Led Zeppelin blasting. Crazy driving - Thinking I'd end up dead in a ditch by the end of the night. Wishing I could spend time with these people every day. 


I will always cherish and be grateful for the memory of this day.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I remember when we were around 13, having a sleepover on the trampoline and starring up at the full moon and purposefully making a memory of that moment. You were (and still are ;) a good friend!