Ulrich briefly referenced the first book she has written about Mormon history called A House Full of Women, which won't be published until next year. But the focus of her talk was a new church manual, Daughters in my Kindgom, and hearing a review of the book from a bona fide historian was fascinating to say the least. Her review was actually quite positive, until she cited the timeline on pages 182-184. It includes momentous deeds accomplished by the Relief Society until, of course, 1969, where the timeline actually seems to be recording the disappearance of Relief Society. To fully get her meaning, I'd recommend you read the book Women of Covenant, which also covers the history of the Relief Society.
The question and answer period permitted me to pick her brain a bit. The greatest piece of advice I gleaned (and that's saying something!) was when she said, "I try to be the same person at work as I am at church. I try to be honest about who I am." I'd like to be more like her in this regard.
Thanks, Laurel, for being one of my heroes.
5 comments:
I didn't forget. I'm glad you got to meet her.
That's neat. I'm glad you got to meet her!
She's in my ward and is one of the Sunday school teachers. She always gives really great lessons, it's fun to be able to hear from her so often. Glad you got to meet her!
You look great Jen! I'm glad you got to meet one of your heroes =)
I do remember that post, and I'm very glad you got to meet her! To be the same person in all contexts of life is definitely one of my goals too.
Post a Comment